I attended my 2nd Steeplechase this past weekend and it was quite the adventure.
Here is what is needed to have a great time at Steeplechase:
1. Great weather.
2. Yummy food.
3. Festive beverages, especially a good mint julep.
4. A fun dress.
5. A ridiculous hat.
6. Really fun people. The more people you know, the more fun the event will be because you’ll have multiple tents to visit. Also, you might just want to be okay with having fun with strangers.
7. An agnostic opinion about Port-a-Potties–they are the only game in town.
8. A phone or camera to capture the fun moments.
9. The ability to walk from the car to the field and back.
10. An interest in horses really isn’t necessary but it is fun to see them run by your plot.
*These two things are also quite important: a sense of humor and a designated driver.
It seems like most of Nashville is at this event. The colors of clothing and the fascinating hats are pure eye candy. I came home with 3 new koozies, a bag from Vineyard Vines, and some new lip gloss. People capitalize on their Southern and as they boast about which SEC school is the best and challenge each other to games of cornhole. “We went to college together.”, “She’s my sorority sister.” “I know her from The League.” “Where are you from? Well, that isn’t really the South.” Seersucker and bow ties are king while the ladies wear their finest sundresses and go to great lengths to style their hat just so. There is nothing but privilege oozing from the pores of this event.
Drinking at 9am leads to even the strongest fading by 4pm and all you want to do is go home, get in your bed, and sleep until your body won’t allow you to any longer. Fortunately, this is all for a good cause as proceeds go to Monroe Carrell, Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt.
You’re in a field and you’re taking it all in while laughing, drinking, and eating. You look great and life is pretty awesome. You forget about reality and get soaked into this horse race that is an excuse for decadence and in some cases debauchery. I love it. If you’ve never been to Foxfields, Carolina Cup, the Kentucky Derby, Preakness, or Steeplechase then what are you waiting for? I’ll see you on the 2nd Saturday in May at Steeplechase 2014.