A lot of the reading I’ve been doing lately about resolutions, goal setting, focus, and making things happen in the 1-5 includes a suggestion to pick a word and make that word the backbone of your 2015 adventure. This word will be your theme and your motivation as you hustle to make the best stuff happen.
I love words. I really do. I use more than the average bear on a regular basis. When I’m not speaking them, I’m writing them or listening to them and certainly reading as many as my eyes can manage. When I’m quiet I’m certainly rolling them around in my head as I prepare to speak, write, or when I’m actively reflecting on my day.
For some reason, this exercise stumped me and it took a few days to find just the right word.
As I sit wrapped up in my apartment working through Lara Casey’s Powersheets with the cover of Amy Purdy’s, “On My Own Two Feet” (good read) staring back at me, I had this thought to watch Brene Brown’s Ted Talk, The Power of Vulnerability. You know, the one that over 18 million people have watched. If 18 people come see me, I am floored. 18 million, I’m done.
Why didn’t I think of this word? Of course, what I’ve been wanting to pursue is living a “WHOLEHEARTED” life. Read Daring Greatly and have your mind blown and your heart burst through your chest. It’s like she’s sitting on my shoulder throughout the day and taking copious notes.
There are 10 guideposts for Wholehearted Living:
1. Cultivate Authenticity: Letting Go of What People Think
2. Cultivating Self-Compassion: Letting Go of Perfectionism
3. Cultivating a Resilient Spirit: Letting Go of Numbing and Powerlessness
4. Cultivating Gratitude and Joy: Letting Go of Scarcity and Fear of the Dark
5. Cultivating Intuition and Trusting Faith: Letting Go of the Need for Certainty
6. Cultivating Creativity: Letting Go of Compassion
7. Cultivating Play and Rest: Letting Go of Exhaustion as a Status Symbol and Productivity as Self Worth
8. Cultivating Calm and Stillness: Letting Anxiety Go as a Lifestyle
9. Cultivating Meaningful Work: Letting go of Self Doubt and “Supposed To”
10. Cultivating Laughter, Song, and Dance – Letting go of “Being Cool” and Always in Control
Sounds like a strong pursuit, huh? Using this word as my theme for 2015 will rebuild and strengthen me in a lot of areas. There isn’t anything on this list that I don’t need to get out my shovel for as I prepare to dig deep.
My blogging for the next couple of months will focus on these 10 Guideposts. Plans, goals, action steps, and results.
So, that’s the word on the street. At least, on Krystal Lane or Clark Circle. WHOLEHEARTED!
Thanks for reading.