Happy New Year!
I spent NYE with new friends eating a delicious dinner at MOTO in The Gulch and drinking a great deal of Champs while having belly laugh inducing conversations and watching Nashville’s award winning fireworks from a supposedly ‘closed’ rooftop lounge. I’ll call it a win.
The next night I spent jotting in my ban.do Hopes + Dreams notebook about all that I want to happen in 2016. The list is long as I’m not known for brevity or lack of ambition.
The second item I wrote is that I will commit to writing at least 1 blog post per week. A daily blog is NOT my jam. Batch writing and scheduling posts is not my desired creation process. However, I can prioritize time during each week to crank out 1 meaningful post. I’ve drafted a list of topics for this month and the first week of February. I’ve chosen Thursday as my post day of the week. My hope is that this will lift the rock up off my shoulders that comes with people knowing I have a blog and then realizing that my posts have become few and far between. So, I’ll see you here on Thursday every week. A new monthly series is Happenings & Hopes where I will detail what’s actually on my plate during the month and what I hope will happen during the month. Those are often two VERY different things.
So, welcome to January:
Happenings –Stuff that’s on the calendar– IT ALL HAPPENENED!!!
- Junior League of Nashville ’16-’17 Board Retreat! 150 till I’m President Elect which means I’m a year closer to taking on the President role in 2017. Yikes!
- Barre3 Challenge begins on January 4th! 4 studio classes, 1 online workout, and one yummy recipe-27 days of Barre3 immersion– completed 1 week…:(
- Co-Facilitation of JLN Goal Setting Training Session
- University of West Georgia Fraternity & Sorority Leadership Retreat- My first time being hired to create original curriculum and serve as Co-Lead Facilitator!
- Beginning a Bible Study with lovely friends! We’re using Kelly Minter’s “What is Love?” I’m looking forward to this dive into the Word.
- AJLI Winter Leadership Retreat in Austin, TX! Can’t wait to meet my President Elect-Elect Sisters!
- My brothers’ birthday and he’s starting the MBA program at my alma mater, William & Mary!
- Nashville Emerging Leaders Breakfast
- College Panhellenic/Interfraternity Council Academy where I’ve been invited to facilitate an original session on Motivation and give an IFC Academy Talk!
- I’m incredibly excited to begin my involvement with another fantastic training organization in Nashville that will allow me to further explore my budding interest in local politics. More details to come!
- Oh, and I have a full-time job! We’re launching an new spring program and have some moves to make with campus partners. We’re also reapplying for our TEDxVanderbiltUniversity license and reimagining some of our existing programs.
I have NOTHING to do this month.
Hopes — Stuff that’s in my head and heart but if I’m not careful won’t make it’s way onto the Priority List
Purchase new personal business cards
- Published blog post on a site I love dearly–Checking in on this piece
Holiday Thank You Cards
- Eat out once per day and not three –> grocery shop–I lost count of the days and by the amount of receipts in my wallet from Panera, I’m not sure this worked out perfectly. I will say that I cooked more than usual this month which is a bit nuts considering that I was out of town 12 days.
Plan 2 friend moments
- Engage in Sunday outfit planning for the week–whatever was hanging around once I finished packing was up for grabs
- Finish at least 1 incomplete or untouched book already on my bookshelf–Nope!
Write a plan to tackle a piece of debt Finish Season 1 and start Season 2 of Homeland Begin planning 33rd Birthday trip for April Finish developing the firstand second session of S.A.I.L Leave at least 1 blank night a week Be in bed by midnight
- Buy less stuff (Kate Spade bag w/gift card, mani/pedi/wax, Tom Ford Lipstick, Le Pens, Champagne, Hat, Wallet, Planner)
- Marie Kondo my closet –Purses=Check!, Shoes= Check! Hats=Check!
- To reach out to people when I think about them and not just shrug off the urge.-Ick! Yes, there were times when I did so and other times during which I put it on the backburner and never moved it back to the front of my mind.–
- To really use all that I learned during our mid-year reviews to be a better Director of my office and supervisor of my team.–uh, sure. Gosh, I have a staff member that’s decided to take advantage of another great opportunity and I think we had a great conversation about this change.
- Pray for an open heart and mind when it comes to this season of my life. Pray that the Lord will give me the strength to embrace it and not let it lead me to lose my faith or hope in His promises. To constantly seek to be intentionally full of light, love, and laughter.– I really did the best I could with what I have. I didn’t dwell too much on my singleness this month, probably because I was running like a madwoman on the hamster wheel of life, and this also why I continue to run. I did have someone tell me that they just can’t ever see me being angry –gosh, I’ve got them fooled!
- Announced as a Fellow for New Leaders’ Council
- Solidified an opportunity to contribute a piece to an upcoming book for college students
- Successfully designed and co-facilitated my first for hire retreat curriculum for the University of West Georgia
- Met an incredible group of PE and PEE at AJLI Winter Leadership Conference in Austin, TX
- Nominated for a Nashville Emerging Leader Award
- A beautiful surprise shoutout for being a Panhellenic woman and the first African American President of the Junior League of Nashville at CPC Academy
- Nailed down 2 additional speaking/facilitation gigs for 2016
Can’t wait to let y’all know how all this went down or didn’t go down in February.
This may seem like A LOT to some folks, but y’all, I am so thankful for all of the opportunities that He puts on my plate. Everything that I’m doing means something to me and is helping me be more of who I already am in this world–because that’s all I want–to be as ME as I can possibly be in this world without any apprehension.
These posts also serve as an accountability tool. You’ve unknowingly signed up to be my accountability partners. Thanks y’all, you’re so good to me. Breaking things up into monthly patterns will help me work towards the bigger picture without being too overwhelmed.
Now, I’m going to carve out time to put my Hopes on my calendar along with my Happenings.
What about you? What are your Happenings & Hopes for this month?
Can’t wait to see y’all each Thursday!
Krystal “Fighters Gotta Fight” Clark
3 thoughts on “Happenings & Hopes: January Edition”
This is so great! Thanks for the super motivation! Excited to be part of your January! Cheers!
Yay! Thanks for reading and if tonight is any indication, we’re going to laugh a lot this weekend!